Situated 23 km north-west of the Sydney CBD and part of the City of Parramatta. Telopea derived its name from the New South Wales plant Waratah which was once widely present in the area.
Following World War II saw many Sydney suburbs and Telopea alike develop and were connected by the Sydney Train Network in 1925.
With this increase in infrastructure, Telopea saw increased population growth provided by the development of housing commission of New South Wales Government. Social infrastructure to support the growing suburb followed thereafter with shops, a library and Telopea Public School.
Telopea has undergone significant revitalisation in particular to upgrades of local parks, playgrounds and development of medium density housing.
Over a little more than a century, Telopea has grown from a rural idyll of orchards and farms to a densely developed residential suburb.